Electricians install, maintain and repair electrical systems. This can include power, heating, lighting, security systems and renewable energy technologies.
There are two electrician apprenticeships to choose from:
- level 3 domestic electrician: installing systems and fixing faults in people’s homes
- level 3 installation and maintenance electrician: installing systems and fixing faults in homes, businesses and on construction sites
Typical tasks include:
- preparing to work by looking at drawings and plans
- installing wiring and electrical equipment
- fixing electrical faults and replacing parts
- inspecting and testing electrical installations to ensure safety
- explaining complex problems to customers
After completion, apprentices may choose to continue their employment or start up their own independent business. Progression opportunities are available in a wide range of technical and commercial roles including, design, estimating and project management.
Apprenticeship duration: approx. 4 years
Salary expectations: starting salary can be up to £20k
Where could you work?
Apprentices could work in their local area or choose to travel, visiting people's homes, workplaces, venues or transport systems.
“70% of our managers in technical roles first joined the company as apprentices. After gaining experience on site, some people rapidly progress into office-based or management roles or even teaching.”
- Clarkson Evans
Meet some apprentices
Meet Corbin, who’s earning money and having fun on site.
Meet Myles, who is accelerating his career in electrics.
View the latest apprenticeship vacancies based on your interest and location with details of how to apply.